How do we think about theology in the 21st Century? Join Professor Andrew Benjamin as we journey through the Book of Genesis and modern Jewish philosophy. We will deal with questions of imitatio Dei, the Image of God and lots more.
The aim of these classes is to look at how to understand the proposition that the human being is made in the image of God. Rather than approach this question abstractly the aim is to work through passages from Torah in order to develop a response. The four session are as follows:
1. Introduction to the topic and the emergence of the first human being. (Genesis 1:26 and 2:7)
2. What’s at stake in the Garden of Eden – morality and human finitude.
3. Being Human and Negotiating the law (Exodus 20:1-20.)
4. The heart of Judaism and being human.
- Mondays 5, 12, 19, 26 November 7pm
- Course readings provided in class